Do you have a way with words? Does your teacher comment on your writing? Do you love to write? If your answer is YES to those questions, we want to read your work! Submit now!
Bayou Writers’ Group of Lake Charles is proud to sponsor its 2013 Young Writers’ Contest
There is no cost to submit! The top three winners will receive cash, prizes, and recognition at our annual Writers’ Conference in Lake Charles on November 9th, 2013.
WRITE ON! Cash and prizes awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place finishers, and there’s more!
The 1st-place winning student’s school library will receive $100 in books.
2013 Young Writers’ Contest SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
* There is no theme. You may submit fiction or nonfiction, no poetry accepted at this time.
* Submissions must be received (postmarked) by May 31st, 2013. Late entries will not be read.
* You may submit up to two entries. All entries will be returned to the author.
* Word count cannot exceed 2,000 words.
* BWG reserves the right to cancel the contest if fewer than six entries are received.
* Open to all high-school students*: private, public, home-schooled who reside in the following parishes: ♦ Allen ♦ Calcasieu ♦ Jeff Davis ♦ Beauregard ♦ Cameron
*May 2013 graduates ARE eligible. 8th-graders must be promoted to 9th-grade at the end of the 2012-2013 school year. No junior-high entries will be judged.
* Submissions must be DS (double spaced) with a 12-pt font and be typed in Times New Roman. No hand-written entries accepted. Use one-inch margins on all pages beginning on page 1.
* Please include a separate cover sheet with the following information for each entry:
- by author’s name
-parents’ contact # and/or email
* Only previously unpublished material is accepted. However, the writer may have other material(s) published.
* Number all pages (excluding cover sheet, including page one). Writer’s name shall appear no where on the submission except for the cover sheet.
* Make three copies of your entry, and staple each one separately in the upper left-hand corner for independent judging. Attach a cover sheet to the front of all copies with a paperclip for easy removal. The judges must not know whom they are reading. Give your story a title!
* Mail your entry(ies), remember, three copies (one for each judge) of each story with one title page for each to:
Bayou Writers’ Group
Attn: Young Writers’ Contest
P.O. Box 1402
Lake Charles, La 70602
* Winners will be notified by phone/email/letter by August 10th, 2013.
* Judges may write comments on your entry.
Student grade disclaimer: Winners’ grades may be verified from supporting documents/or other verifications, such as: official report card from parent, or parent(s) verbal agreement. If proper assurances cannot be received, other winner(s) will be chosen.
IMPORTANT: Points will be deducted by judges for each guideline infraction. Please follow ALL guidelines to ensure you receive maximum points for format! Good luck to each of you!